nukeSEO.com - PHPNuke SEO Search engine optimization, professional tools including nukeSEO, nukeSPAM, nukeFEED, nukePIE, nukeWYSIWYG and more

. Welcome to nukeSEO.com  ! 

nukeSEO.com: Forums

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Move over inktomi, here comes greedy, greedy Google

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srhh
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Move over inktomi, here comes greedy, greedy Google Reply with quote

Soo, I've been running low on bandwidth the past couple months and realized it is allllll coming from Googlebot. Almost 1 GIG of bandwidth drained this month from Googlebot alone!
It comes to my site *everyday* and indexes all these little nooks and crannies of my site, like the edit profile, post new topic, rate this link, etc. Things which have no content basically. Ironically, the only page that shows up in Google search when I type in my site name is still the lonely lonely index page Sad (BUT, my pagerank is waay up!)
There is a way to slow the Googlebot down if you're signedup for their WebMaster tools but that link doesn't work in my WebMaster tools page, and if it DID work, would take about 90 days to take effect anyways.

I've googled this (ironically) and it seems others on all other CMS's have the same problem with the greedy greedy Googlebot.

Any ideas short of banning it to slow it down or keep it from crawling irrelevant pages from htaccess? Maybe there could be an addition to NukeSEO to make Google download the site map only once a week or so?

Guardian
webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Move over inktomi, here comes greedy, greedy Google Reply with quote

Absolutely dead easy Wink
In includes/meta.php you'll see this
Code:
$metastring .= "<meta name=\"REVISIT-AFTER\" content=\"1 DAYS\" />\n";

No one really nedds bots visiting their site every single day no matter how active their site!!!
Just change 1 DAY to 1 WEEK

If you are using nukeseo you might be able to change that through the module admin interface, if not you'll have to edit it manually (meta2.php )

Don't forget you can alter the 'frequency' in your sitemap too which will tell google how often content is likely to change.

You think Google is being hungry? Just wait till Slurp (inktomi) pays you a visit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nukeSEO.com Forum Index -> nukeSEO (tm) All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: